Do you know if you are active in the army of God or are you a sleeping warrior?
Are you a sleeping warrior? As you may have read in our previous series Your enrollment into Spiritual Warfare we are all called as children of God to be warriors, and yet too many of God’s children are sleeping warriors and this is very dangerous ground to be in. Do you know if you are a sleeping warrior or are you vigilant and watchful in the kingdom of God? We will be discussing the three signs of knowing if you are a sleeping warrior and how you can wake up and be a warrior that is alert, vigilant, and active. If you also have not read the most recent post regarding our Source as warriors of God please do so here Knowing the source of your inheritance for Spiritual Warfare
We are not to be sleeping warriors of God, warriors do not sleep when in battle, so why do we think it is okay for us to be doing so? No man of war would ever be sleeping when he is to be keeping watch, so why do we? I want to jump right into the scripture that God has put on my heart for this blog post: Another parable He put forth to them saying “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field; but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way.” Matthew 13:24-25
1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.
Ephesians 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints.
1 Corinthians 16:13 Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong.
Ephesians 5:14 “Awake, you who sleep, Arise from the dead, And Christ will give you light.” When you are baptized in Christ Jesus you become dead to sin and you put away the old man, and you rise up with Christ as a new creation (Please read Romans chapter 6 for a full understanding of this) So when the word is saying Awake you who sleep, arise from the dead this is talking about leaving your old man of sin behind and stepping into the light which is Jesus Christ and no longer be slaves to sin.
Even though we have died to our old flesh which is sin and death (Romans chapter 8 gives more detail on this) and have risen with Christ Jesus and have now been enrolled in God’s army and have received our inheritance from Jesus Christ, we are to still stay awake and vigilant. The bible clearly warns us to stay awake and to be on alert, to be watchful for Satan is seeking to devour you, your children, your family and everything you hold dear in your life because it is not you that he despises, but Christ Jesus IN you that he despises and wants to destroy.
So the next question I am sure you are asking in your head is “How do we know when we are sleeping, and if we are how do we go about waking up and staying alert, vigilant and watchful?” If you can answer yes to these questions below, then you have been sleeping or taking a cat nap in the cares of the word.
- Are you reading your word daily? Are you physically opening the word of God (bible app or old school bible) and reading or meditating on a verse of the bible. Are you actively searching out God’s word for the word to guide you in the day, and transform your heart? Psalm 119:9-11 How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to the word. With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments! Your word I have hidden in my heart that I might not sin against You. Matthew 4:4 But He answered and said: “It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.” If you are not reading your word every single day, then you are sleeping and not to mention starving yourself of the one thing that you need in this world to function properly as a child of God. I am an avid believer that you MUST read your word daily, I do not believe that God would ever call us to not read His word, because everything that God speaks into our day is confirmed in His word and without His word, how can you discern between Gods voice and the enemies, or your own thoughts? You can’t, awake oh sleeper.
- Have you communicated with God today? What I mean by this is; have you given Him time in your day that was dedicated only to Him and nothing else, even if it is only 5 minutes if that is all you have to spare? Psalm 63:1-2 GOD, You are my God; early will I seek You; my soul thirsts for You, my flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water. So I have looked for You in the sanctuary, to see Your power and Your glory. Psalm 14:2 The Lord looks down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there are any who understand, who seek God. Are you truly seeking God in your day to give him honor and admiration that is due to Him or are you only seeking Him when you are overstressed, overworked, and over exhausted and even then you cry out to Him with the “Lord, something has got to be done” prayer? Is this something you find yourself doing more than 3 times a week and find yourself in a prayer life that looks like this? If so this is dangerous territory. Awake oh you sleeper.
- Are you finding yourself doing things, saying things or acting out in ways of your flesh and then finding yourself later regretting it? Then you may be napping… Ephesians 4:22 That you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the new man which is created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness. 1 Peter 1:14-15 As obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”
So to narrow the three signs of sleeping or napping as a child of God they are 1. Not reading your word daily 2. Not truly seeking God 3. Acting in the flesh when you have been called to be set free from it. If you have answered yes to any of these three questions, then you are a sleeping warrior, and may I remind you that a sleeping warrior will be defeated in every area that the enemy comes and finds you sleeping in, and he will begin to plant tares in you that start out as small seeds and grow into weeds that choke out the grain. So how do we go about waking up and changing the habit of sleeping in our lives when it comes to being a warrior of God? Here are three ways to prevent this that has worked for me, and still are working for me as I too am practicing what I preach every day of my life!
- Read your word daily, even if that means to start out you are opening your word to any particular page (if you are truly just starting out in His word, I do recommend the new testament area for flip’n’read kind of material or Psalms) Also before opening your word, take time to say a little prayer asking the “Holy Spirit of God to guide you in His word, that it would not be read for entertainment or out of obligation, but that what you read today would be engraved on your heart to be meditated on throughout the day, that the word would speak life into you today, and that He would direct you in His word, that you would not read His word in vain, but that it would edify, build and grow you.” Another option would be to find scriptures that mean something to you by going to google, typing in scriptures on (fill in the blank here with something that has been on your heart) and if the scriptures are speaking to your heart once you have the results, write them down and hang them around your house where you will read them in the mornings and throughout your day. I know too many this seems kind of silly, but I must ask “what is silly about having a weapon at your fingertips around every part of your house to use against the enemies attacks?” NOTHING IS SILLY ABOUT IT! Do not ever let anyone make you feel indifferent about reading your word, learning your word, or studying your word the way you desire to do it. Every person has their own way of doing things, and if something works for you to put the word of God in your heart, then, by all means, do it and do not feel ashamed for it from anyone! Play scriptures or bible readings on your phone if you have the app or even if you have access to youtube and can afford to use up data (for those that pay for data and may not have wifi) Whatever it takes to get the word of God in your day, in your head and on your heart you must do, and do not think of it as silly if you choose to do ALL of this, there is nothing wrong with TRYING to strengthen yourself in the word of God and to stay awake in the Lord, if you are serious about not being a sleeping warrior, then you must arm yourself with the word of God DAILY, because the enemy is never resting or taking naps, the enemy never sleeps and as warriors fighting an enemy who does not sleep, we should not be sleeping either, and your best weapon against the enemy is the word of God. “Do not put to rest your best weapon in this warfare.
- Communicate with God, wake up and even if all it takes is “Good morning God” just to get you started then do it. If you have been an avid communicator with God, but lately it seems you are only communicating with Him about problems and cares of this world that you seem to be entangled in, then perhaps remember that He is always there and desires to talk to you even about the little things, He desires to have a relationship with you much like a best friend, or a spouse. Many look at God as something different than what He wants to be looked at as, He desires to have a true relationship with you, if you had a friend who only contacted you during problems in their life, and when they were so stressed out that they didn’t know what to do, or when their world was falling apart, would that not hurt your feelings? I mean don’t get me wrong it would be great to know they come to you because they trust you will help them, but on the heart end of this, what kind of relationship has been built between the two? Not a very deep and lasting one I assure you, to build a relationship that is genuine you would get together, talk about all things that make you happy, sad, mad, frustrated, elated and scared. It is when at times like this that we begin to spend more and more quality time with a friend talking about all the things on our mind and heart that we find ourselves very close to this person, that we trust this person and that we begin to love this person more and more for who they truly are. Ladies and gentleman God is the exact same way, He wants us to know Him like this, to know His personality, to know His thoughts and what makes Him joyful and He longs to know you in the same way. Too many have mistaken God, thinking that because he does know everything in our lives and our every thought and every hearts intent, that we have no need to speak to Him in such a way that we would need Him to get to know us or for us to get to know Him, because after all, He is God right? Wrong you guys, it breaks God’s heart when we do not get to know Him, He is not just a God to be served and worshiped, He is a God that we can intimately get to know and have a deep and compassionate, trusting relationship with and it is His DESIRE that he know you this way, and more, that you know Him this way. So when I say here that you must talk to God daily, please don’t get me wrong when I say that prayer is not exactly what I am talking about here, but that I am talking about us as children of God literally talking to Him in such a way that we would talk to our dearest and closest friend no matter the mood you are in, if you are angry and need a friend to vent too, who better than the one who is Peace. If you are hurt and need to cry and let it all out, who better than the one who is our Comforter, if you are excited and want to shout it out to the rooftops who better to shout it too then the one who is Joy. I am sorry this section took longer than the rest, but this one here is so important in every aspect of our walk with God, His design for mankind was not so that we would worship Him, but that He would love on us and that we would get to know Him for the Father and King that He is, so that we would know the heart of God just as He knows the heart of you. Get to know God, begin to talk to Him about whatever it is on your mind, if you have to pretend that he is standing in your living room (because technically He is always there with you, He NEVER LEAVES YOU nor FORSAKES YOU) then start out with that, whatever it takes to get your relationship with God deeper and continuous, do it, it is the best decision you will have ever made in your life! Talk to God, He is there waiting to be your friend!
- Okay so the answer to this one is kind of simple, but I will keep it short! If you are doing the first 2 steps above, then this step will come naturally to you. See when you begin to fill your heart with the word of God DAILY, and begin to communicate with God DAILY, you will notice that your conduct and the desires of your flesh will literally fade away in time. And the more you begin to meditate on the word of God throughout your day, and grow deeper in a relationship with God to the point that you are walking in the Spirit of God throughout your day, your desires of the flesh will die in you and you will begin to be set free from so many of the things that you had struggled with being every day that you regretted being. (Does that make sense?) Too many people (myself included) think that to change ourselves we have to do this, and this and this and all things are actions, trying to change how we talk, respond, act or think. But the truth is that God made it so easy for us because He loves us that much. If we would only seek the word of God and seek God daily, the change in our hearts will come naturally and easily without us having to constantly battle and struggle to stop being our sinful flesh or doing the things we later regret in our lives. I am not saying that if you do these things the enemy will just stop attacking you, heck no, remember we are in warfare all the time. But what I am saying is that if you surround yourself with every weapon of God (which is the word) and the very presence of God (which is the relationship and trust you have in God) every day in this warfare, the enemy will not be able to plant tares in you and cause you to constantly keep going back to your old ways, because you will be renewed every day by the washing of the word of God in your minds and it will flood out any seedlings of tares the enemy has tried to plant in you.
So I shall end this with an encouraging word to WAKE UP if you are sleeping or feel yourself getting sleepy because the enemy is out there waiting for you to doze off and as warriors, we must always be on alert and be ready at all times with our weapons ready for use. If you are wanting to be used in God’s army and be victorious then you must know when you are sleeping and dozing off, and when you are alert and ready for battle. God desires warriors who are awake, armed and ready for warfare and as we learn more about praying into the kingdom of warfare you will notice that being awake and vigilant plays a HUGE role in this! May God bless you all and thank you for your support and prayers, and also for being patient with me as I work to get these blogs out on time!
“No man of war would place his weapons on a shelf and still think he can win the battle, so why do God’s warriors think this is okay?” -Kingdom Daughter